Tasmania - Day 6

Exploring Bruny Island

It was an early start for our journey to Bruny Island. We had to arrive at the tour desk at 7.45am. We were picked up by our tour guides for the day. To get to Bruny Island you need to travel 45 minutes down to a town called Kettering which is where you take the ferry across to get to Bruny Island. Before we knew it our bus was loaded onto the ferry and we were sailing our was across to the island. The ferry journey was only 20 minutes and very pretty. Lot of people use this ferry service everyday, our bus driver was saying even some people from the island travel across to work in hobart everyday.

When we arrived on Bruny we drove straight through North Bruny. North Bruny has a lot of the food places and farms. We went past the oyster,cheese, honey and chocolate shop and there are a lo of other places. Our first stop for today was the Neck. The neck is a stretch of thin land that connects North and South Bruny. The climb up to the lookout was 290 steps but it didn’t take too long to get up. The view was amazing. You can see both sides of the island. One half is ocean with quite decent waves and the other side is a flat bay.

Back on the bus we headed to the Pennicott Wilderness Journey centre for morning tea. They had tea and coffee availabe for us and a blueberry muffin. After a quick morning tea it was time to get on the boat. The cruise was a 3 hour wilderness cruise along bruny island and out to the Southern Ocean. I won’t break down everthing we saw but we spen most of the afternoon cruising alongside some of Australia’s highest sea cliffs. We got up close to listen to the awesome ‘Breathing Rock’. We drove into some sea caves, and went flying through the monumet. Which I think looks like a llama. We then got to experience the point where the Tasman Sea meets the might of the Southern Ocean. It was an amazing cruise. I cannot explain how impresssive the sea cliffs were and the photos do nothing for it. It really made you appreciate being able to see these majestic sites. Our driver was also an absolute hoot which made it even more enjoyable.

We headed back to have the supplied lunch which was pretty good and then we made our way back to Hobart. On the way back we got to see one of the islands white wallabies. It was such a great day out. But by the time we got back it was time for a quick dinner and bed.